If your heart melts each time you see a teeny tiny pink frilly tutu, you may be wondering how you can guarantee yourself a daughter. In truth, there is no way to naturally determine the sex of your baby. There are two scientific methods that claim some degree of success for gender selection, but these methods are contradictory in nature and may not work for you. Of course, the most important thing is a healthy baby. If you want to try to conceive a girl, here are some tips.
The Shettles Method
According to The Shettles Method developed by Dr. Landrum Shettles in the 1960s, X-chromosome (girl) sperm travel slower than Y-chromosome (boy) sperm and live longer, opening up your conception window. So don’t wait until you ovulate. Use our handy dandy ovulation calculator to help you plan to do the deed two or more days before ovulation. Or you could try The Whelan Method, named after Elizabeth Whelan, author of Boy or Girl, which is basically the opposite approach. The Shettles Method boasts a slightly higher success rate of 75 percent at conceiving the child of choice.
The Whelan Method
The Whelan Method The other commonly used method was created by Dr Whelan, and claims a 57 percent success rate for couples who wish to conceive a girl. Dr Whelan’s theory has slightly different timings, and to have a girl, she advises you to have sex two to three days before ovulation. For a boy, she suggests four to six days pre-ovulation to be the peak time. The Whelan and Shettles method are contradictory, and both have cheerleaders claiming success, but it is difficult to judge whether these successes were truly a result of the method, or simply that the outcome remained the same regardless of the method used.
Heat Up the Love
Another theory claims that girl-producing sperm prefer, or can at least tolerate, warmer temperatures. If you buy into this concept, you should encourage your partner to take a hot bath before intercourse if you want a baby girl.
Whether this works or not, don’t overdo it. General advice for increased fertility is to keep those guys on the cooler side. So frequent hot-tubbing or overly brief briefs may have a long term deleterious effect. Overall sperm count changes over about two months.
Slow the Pace
Indeed, during my research, I spoke with two different mothers who each have one girl and one boy. They both said basically the same thing in so many words: If you want to conceive a girl, have well-planned, romantic intercourse.
“Our daughter was conceived during a planned encounter with soft music and candlelight,” says Casey in Birmingham. On the other hand, she says her son was conceived on her husband’s lunch break from work. “No soft music, no candles—just a wham-bam, thank you ma’am, and get back to work.”
Holly from Atlanta tells a similar tale. “If you want a girl, you should have regimented, planned sex that correlates to your carefully counted menstrual cycle days,” she says. She explains that’s exactly how she and her husband conceived their little girl. On the other hand, her son was conceived in a very different manner. “If you want a boy, your drunken husband should attack you on the living room floor on a random weeknight and you should have no idea where you are in your monthly cycle,” she laughs.
Casey puts it simply, saying, “If you are trying to conceive a girl, have sex the way a woman would want it. Start with soft music, candlelight and all the time in the world.” What better way to bring a little girl into the world?
General tips to help conceive a girl
- Avoid having sex which involves deep penetration. The missionary position may be preferable because the semen/sperm are not deposited as closely to the cervix as the all fours position. A shallow position is preferable when trying to have a girl baby.
- Enlist your partner’s cooperation if you’re trying to have a girl. There may be changes from your usual sexual routine. Communication and shared decision making will go a long way towards avoiding misunderstandings at ‘delicate’ moments.
- It seems that girl sperm favour a more acidic environment. This is largely out of your control though there may be some foods which favour the acidic ph. Alkaline testing kits are available from pharmacies if you’re keen to find out what your individual vaginal ph may be.
- There is a theory that girl sperm are more prolific when a man is ejaculating daily. But just to confuse us, there is another theory which claims that it takes a couple of days for total sperm numbers to build up to maximum numbers after ejaculation.
- One option is to use condoms during sex which occurs over the woman’s most fertile days. These will limit the opportunity for any conception to occur, but does support Shettles theory of a greater likelihood of boy conception at the time of ovulation.
- Foods which are likely to support a more acidic vaginal ph are thought to be great for boosting the chances of having a girl.
To boost your chances of having a baby girl, try eating more of these foods:
- Green leafy vegetables. Be aware that some researchers claim mothers who are keen to conceive with a girl should avoid most fruits and vegetables, though in a dietary sense this is generally not advisable for anyone. Folic acid is an important nutrient in the first trimester and green leafy vegetables are one of the major sources of folate.
- Wholegrains such as breads, cereal and rice.
- Sweets, lollies, desserts and cakes. (Lucky you)!
- Avoid eating nuts, specifically almonds.
- Eat corn and blueberries.
- Aim to eat foods which are high and rich in magnesium, such as fish, fruit and grains.
There is some science to support the theory that women who have a higher energy intake in their diets are more likely to have boys. More kilojoules per day favours those little boys it seems. So the reverse may be true to help boost the chances of having a girl. Just remember, there are no guarantees.